Friday, October 28, 2005

10/28/2005 - Fairy Tale

Song: Fairy Tale
Artist: Willie Murphy
Why this song is the current jam: Willie Murphy is a very old friend of my dad's and this song has always held a special place in the heart of my family and in the heart of a lot of folks around Minneapolis. This is a song that Willie himself wrote about he and a bunch of guys who used to hang out on 26th and Nicollet back in the day, most of whom my dad knew. I played this song off of our family's cassette tape on my boombox at the funeral service of one of those guys (Mike Mauritson, one of the nicest dudes ever) at the Black Forest restaurant on 26th & Nicollet. In that context the song seemed like more than just a song to everyone I think. It still holds some of that quality on its own too, and Willie is one of our local treasures. He is a charter member of the Minnesota Music Hall of Fame and he was the first head of the Little Richard fan club way back in the 50's, how cool is that! Check him out and see him live at some dive bar if he is in your town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home