Wednesday, March 08, 2006

3/8/2006 - Gettin' Grown

Song: Gettin' Grown
Artist: Cee-Lo
Why this song is the current jam: I thought I would do a few posts here in honor of some of my favorite rappers, several of which have moved in a different direction recently, one that has taken them a little bit away from rapping. The first here is Cee-Lo from Goodie Mob. I posted a song of theirs earlier, highlighting his verse. This song is from his 1st solo album, which is an interesting mix of stuff. It is imperfect but there is so much good stuff on there I highly recommend it. I like the gentle contemplative vibe of this song, and as always, Cee-Lo's lyrics are good and worth listening to. He has a great voice that takes a little getting used to and a perspective that may or may not click with you upon first listen, but I encourage you to listen more than once. As a little bonus, I am gonna include Young Man (Sierra's Song), a track with 3 great verses where Cee-Lo speaks to young black men from his experience. There is such a warmth and depth of understanding to his words, they dont come off as particularly preachy, even though he is straight up giving advice.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much do I love Cee-Lo now? Lots. He really has some wisdom as well as kindness to offer, and that's downright strange for a rapper. I highly approve.

-Megan

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home