Friday, November 04, 2005

11/4/2005 - Uptown

Song: Uptown
Artist: Prince
Why this song is the current jam: Ok I couldn’t just leave you with one little taste of Prince and then leave you hanging. Of course you want more, and let me tell you friend, I am happy to oblige. This song here is basically the theme song of the area where I live. Yep, you guessed it, Uptown. It used to be actually quite hip and punky and now it has become increasing gentrified and commercial. But it does still hold some of the charm that Prince describes in the song. I grew up very close to here so this song is kinda special for me in that sense. Plus I first heard the Dirty Mind album in high school because my brother had left his old LP of it at home when he moved away to NYC and I listened to this every night when I went to bed for 6 months straight. Seriously. So it reminds me of my brother too. Also, there is just something special and beautiful to me about old school Prince. I mean like little black speedos and a trenchcoat Prince yknow? There is something so beautifully naïve about the crazy hyper-sexualized androgynous desperation that goes into these songs. There is so much of an act to it yes, but there is something supremely honest about it as well. This whole album was recorded essentially as a demo and the people at the record company liked it so much they wouldn’t let him redo it. They just touched it up and released it. He played most of the instruments himself too. Really, Prince is the man. He really is a bit of a fountainhead and source of inspiration for so many other artists after him including Raphael Saadiq, D’Angelo, Beck, and all sorts of other folks who mess around with white music and black music and many combinations thereof, as well as anyone who creates most of their music alone. Tons of artists owe so much to Prince, and they do often express their appreciation. Check their liner notes if you don’t believe me.

1 Comments:

Blogger TopDaz said...

Hello, thanks for this blog, I am enjoying this new music! Am listening to Prince now, had forgotten what talent he has.
Daz

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home