Saturday, March 11, 2006

3/11/2006 - Mr. Intentional

Song: Mr. Intentional
Artist: Lauryn Hill
Why this song is the current jam: Let it not be said that I left Lauryn Hill out of the picture of hip hop artists who have progressed and grown and changed. Her Unplugged Album was just she and a guitar, sitting, talking and singing. It is pretty heavy, but really worth listening to, if only to hear a real portrait of someone struggling to stay true to who they are in front of more than just the mirror. It can be a bit pedantic and maybe almost pretentious at times, but I respect the shit out of her for stepping up and saying how she felt anyways, singing songs that are like baby butterflies with wings too wet too fly, putting her fragile, changing feelings out there. That takes guts, and that particular type of honesty can be hard to come by in hip hop circles. This song in particular is biting and powerful. It feels to me like an indictment of all of the worst aspects of men in relationships, many of which I find in myself. She is new to the guitar here I think, but her voice is beautiful and expressive and her emotion is so present in its pain and even anger. My bonus track for Lauryn is off of her first solo album and you have certainly already heard it, but here it is again cuz it is the bomb, Ex-Factor. There is something so poignant and I think honest in both of these songs about what it can be to be a woman in a relationship with a man. This of course from my completely external and essentially uninformed perspective. But I feel like if I can get past the parts of these songs that cut, I feel like I learn so much about my own past. Lauryn's music is pretty deep and there are a bunch of lessons in it, not the least of which is "Don't break up with Lauryn Hill."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home