Saturday, November 05, 2005

11/5/2005 - Lester Swings

Song: Lester Swings
Artist: Lester Young
Why this song is the current jam: Something a little different for the weekend. I found this song randomly searching for Lester Young stuff on the interweb. I knew a little bit about Lester, mainly that I loved his style, and it was really distinctive so I could kinda tell if it was him playing, something that I am horrible at because I know so little about jazz music. And me a full-time teacher of a jazz dance. Oh well, I am trying. Lester played with Count Basie, Fletcher Henderson, Oscar Peterson, tons of big names. And he himself was one of the biggest names in saxophone. His light breezy playing really changed the way people played sax. It kinda opened the door for cats to smooth things out and cool it down. This recording has a little more of that bebop feel to it, and I must say, although that is not typically my thing, I am in love with this song. The opening riff just blows me away, it sounds magical to me. Check out more of Lester if you have even a passing interest in jazz, and if you are a Lindy Hopper, then you will be happy to know that it is Lester you hear tearing it up on ”Jumpin at the Woodside”, our perennial favorite song to swing out to. Check out the mood he creates on this one, it feels like a magic carpet ride from beginning to end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home