Tuesday, January 10, 2006

1/10/2006 - Straight Up

Song: Straight Up
Artist: Sean Paul
Why this song is the current jam: Today we take a departure to the world of dancehall. Now I realize that everyone is over the newness of dancehall and all and that Reggaeton is the new dancehall, but still, for me, I dig the dancehall stuff. First of all, you can't stop the doo,kee-doo-kee beat. Second, the energy is just overwhelming and there is something irrepressably vital about the straight up down and dirty "I want to have sex with you girl" theme of most of the songs, they get at our most basic urges to shake our butts (and other stuff). So this song by Sean Paul (my favorite because of his awesomely flat voice and singsong melodies) is an example of a sorta newer rhythm that is all over the place now. The beat is by this producer, Supa Dups and it is called "Kopa". Most of the beats you hear are created by a producer and then given to a ton of different artists to tweat and rhyme over as they see fit. It is interesting how they do it, and you can check out how this stuff works by picking up one of the riddim albums, Greensleeves generally has good ones. If I bought physical media, I'd be all over it. Another example of a beat like Kopa is the Coolie Dance riddim which actually came out earlier. Two of my favorite takes on it are Nina Sky's Move Ya Body cuz I like the little trill they put in there on the chorus (even though those girls really cant sing for crap) and Elephant Man's Jook Gal Remix cuz he has some good rappers on there and comes with the crazy energy as usual. Another amazing beat was the diwali riddim made famous in the states by Sean Paul with Get Busy. This riddim, created by Steven "Lenky" Marsden is so unique, I just love it. The claps and all the polyrhythmic shit he makes happen, just amazing. Here are two more examples of the riddim: Wayne Wonder's No Letting Go and Lumidee's Stay (Uh Oh). The latter is really a tutorial in horrible singing, but the rhythm is really clear and it was a huge hit for her. It just goes to show what an effect a tight beat like that can have. For a little taste of a more old-school but still bangin sound, check out Murder She Wrote by Chaka Demus & Pliers, a seminal dancehall song based on Sly and Robbie's Bam Bam riddim. It is truly the doo,kee-doo-kee beat at its finest. As a special bonus to a post chock full of bonus tracks, I am including one more by Sean Paul that I mixed with the diwali riddim, Like Glue (Diwali Mix).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! The doo-kee-doo-kee. Caitlin introduced me to that at the Kensington Solstice festival thingo (which she called you from) with the samba drummers. Ever since, every time I hear a song with that rhythm I get "doo-kee-doo-kee" stuck in my head.

Any suggestions for good tunes for the gym?
Ash

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I've just discovered this blog I don't know if you've covered this album yet: Arular by M.I.A (Maya Arul). Definately one of those albums that just makes you want to move to the beats

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home