Thursday, January 05, 2006

1/5/2006 - The Glamorous Life

Song: The Glamorous Life
Artist: Sheila E.
Why this song is the current jam: This song was my JAM back in the day. When I was younger, I loved this song so so much when it came out. I loved (and still love) all that old Prince stuf (this was produced by Prince, it is clear to hear, just like the Time). What I didn't really know was what a total badass Sheila E was in her own right as a real deal artist. I mean she can drum her ass off. I remember one time, I took the 45 of this that I used to have and I played it on slow speed, and some of her rolls were STILL faster than I could have played them, and crisp and clear as shit every one. And this song had some cool saxophone too which I always liked (that Pussycat Dolls song, Don't Cha totally bit the horns on the chorus from this song - in spirit at least). And perhaps the most compelling thing about this song was that the sax player in the video had this super fuckin cool earring (in only one ear, with a cross) that hung down and sparkled all cool. I always thought it would be the coolest thing to have a big old earring in one ear and dress cool like those guys. I think at some point later I realized how amazingly gay that would be and thought, "perhaps that look is not for me." But I still do appreciate the beauty of it as an idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home