Friday, January 06, 2006

1/6/2006 - Tobacco Road

Song: Tobacco Road
Artist: Lou Rawls
Why this song is the current jam: Lou Reezy passed away today yall. This man had one of the best voices I have ever heard. Caitlin described it to me as a deep, round tone. Rich, like a velvety soft chocolate truffle. But also, he could kick some serious ass. He was around in a time where his idiom was very far from what makes sense to me - he was quite often a lounge singer. That can easily be an insult, and in fact in most cases when I use it, it is. But Lou's voice transcends the cheesiness of some of the stuff that he did. And most of it wasn't that cheesy at the time. Anyways, he is enough of a badass to not need me to defend him against my own prejudices. This song by Lou showcases not only his voice, but the legendary dripping, juicy soul that he puts into a song. As a special Lou bonus, I am including 3 more songs here:

First we have You've Made Me So Very Happy by Lou (produced by David Axelrod which I downloaded at www.soul-sides.com which is a great [aka much better and more informative and well-done than this one] music blog if you like soul-type stuff. Thanks for the tip Steve!)

Next we have a song that I have previously posted, which should sound all the more familiar now, since the song above is where they got the sample (hook, line, and sinker as it was) and when I found it on soul-sides, I just about doo-dooed myself with excitement. But wait, the connections go deeper still my friends.

Finally we have a version of You've Made Me So Very Happy by Alton Ellis, an artist whose stuff I have posted before. Alton does it up reggae-style, as is his wont, and I quite enjoy the bounce he puts into it.

So to sum up, much love to Lou Rawls. RIP.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh. I'm sorry to hear he passed away, I really like his voice. I'm glad I got the opportunity to go hear him when he was in Ottawa last year. His rendition of St James' Infirmary gives me goose bumps. It's wonderful! Wish I could hear it now..

dd

9:54 AM  
Blogger Moo said...

If you don't already have them, you should definitly pick up his anthology albums, vol. 1 and 2, they are completely amazing.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home