Saturday, January 07, 2006

1/7/2006 - In a Sentimental Mood

Song: In a Sentimental Mood
Artist: Duke Ellington
Why this song is the current jam: I just think this song is completely beautiful. It is so elegant and delicate and just a very tiny bit sexy in moments, like just a little whiff of sexy floating by. It also has some thing a little melancholy, and overwhelmingly sentimental to it. Makes sense I guess. I love this version because I feel like I can dance to it. While it doesn't necessarily make me want to swing out, it does make me want to dance with a woman. This song makes me want to have an elegant, romantic dance with a beautiful lady at a gala ball, where the rest of the room fades into the background as we have our dance. Like that scene from the Paris montage in Casablanca, I think of that a little bit, but with more intringue (and better dancing) when I hear this song. This is probably a song that most have heard before, and it goes without saying I guess that most stuff by Duke is gonna not suck at the least. The most popular version of this song is Duke's collabo with John Coltrane and it really is hauntingly beautiful and I would hate for you to miss it so here it is. The way the piano tinkles along with the saxophone - well it really defies description, just listen to it, it is a thing of beauty in a very serious and deep way. My good friends used this as their wedding song - how cool are they?! The composition itself is beautiful and performed by Duke it is classy, elegant, and romantic, and performed by Coltrane with Duke, it gains an intensity even while Trane plays it so gently, and it is so lush as to be almost sultry, but still with that elegance that is infused in the melody. Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is another singing version of this song performed by Ranee Lee, from a centennial album "A Tribute to Duke Ellington" (1999 Justin Time). Perhaps worth trying to listen to.

In a sentimental mood, "Music is My Mistress."

J.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home