Friday, January 13, 2006

1/13/2006 - What It Is

Song: What It Is
Artist: Busta Rhymes
Why this song is the current jam: Ok today is dedicated to songs that I feel like have been slept on. These tracks haven't gotten a ton of attention maybe, but I think the beats are totally slammin. We'll start with this Busta track, which is The Neptunes at their finest, with Kelis on the vocals. (The same Kelis whose Neptunes-produced Milkshake blew the fuck up in 2003 and is still a guaranteed club favorite to this day) My friend Dave and I used to joke all the time about how the Neptunes had only one drum pattern, the "Boom, Crack... Boom, Crack, Boom, repeat ad infinitum" beat that is displayed in part on this song. The first year or two that Neptunes productions were around, it was truly amazing to see how many different hits they could produce that had the exact same drum pattern. But hey, if it aint broke (and makes you millions of dollars)... I guess the same could be said of Swizz Beats as well though - see the 10th's post for examples. Another song I am posting as a dark horse beat that I love is Down For Me by attractive by subpar rapper, Loon. This guy is basically Mase 3.0 and I think Puffy had big hopes for him that didnt really pan out as much as he would have liked. In any case, I think that this beat is completely infectious. I can listen to the instrumental over and over, but I am a geek like that. Another song that I think has a really hot beat that wasn't really a huge hit is possibly THE anthem for date rapists everywhere. In You Owe Me by Nas he is talking about exactly what you think he is talking about. I mean, the lack of irony is so astoundingly blatant that it is nearly charming. I mean among most folks that I hang with, the idea of "I bought you dinner, now you OWE me!" is generally accepted as trite on an afterschool special-level. Be that as it may, Nas seems to think it is a great idea. You have to love the sexual politics of hip hop, healthy healthy healthy. Anyways, Timbaland's production is hot as usual, so check it out. Finally I am including a track by Mr. Cheeks formerly of Lost Boyz fame. The song, Lights, Camera, Action just has the most infectious rhythm and hook (one that I first heard on Ralph Tresvant's She's My Love Thang). Quik and Rock taught to this at Great Southwest Lindyfest (which if you are a lindy hopper you should attend this year because the 10th anniversary is going to be the bomb, chock full of goodness) and it was hot. You may or may not have heard these songs before, but in my little scorebook, they are all the bomb. Hope you like.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, You don't like the Neptunes? The beats they produce are so freakin' infectious and funky.... I can recognize a Neptunes produced song in a heartbeat. I'll even listen to Britney Spears' "Slave for You" because of them.
On another note, I hear that Pharrell is interviewed in "Rolling Stone" this month, and gives credit to one of my favorite producers, Pete Rock. He knows his shit.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home