Sunday, February 26, 2006

2/26/2006 - The One Who Really Loves You

Song: The One Who Really Loves You
Artist: Mary Wells
Why this song is the current jam: Ok I love this song. It is written by Smokey Robinson, one of the greatest writers of pop songs ever. It has this sweetness and innocence to it. There is something touching to me about the the chorus where she sings, "lose me, little me (the one who really loves you)" because here she is almost threatening to leave, but finishing that breath with a reminder that her love is for real. The Marvelettes of "Mr. Postman" fame also did a version of this song, and honestly, I cant figure out which I like better. The Mary Wells one has a bigger, deeper sound with the music, and her shy, beautiful voice is always great. But there is a tightness to the Marvelettes version, and there is something about the lead singer's sort of scratchy little voice that I cant get enough of. You decide for yourself.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,
I'm sure you know the name of this song is "The ONE Who Really Loves You"; probably it was just a typo or a missing word. Anyway, perhaps, I'm just a nerd.

I like both versions. Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. Just kidding, you know what I mean ......

J.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home