Tuesday, March 14, 2006

3/14/2006 - Exercise in Swing

Song: Exercise in Swing
Artist: Lester Young
Why this song is the current jam: Ok time for a little change of pace. A little jazz for the fans out there. Going back to my man Lester Young again - I fucking LOVE the way he plays. This song has such a pushing frenetic beat, and he just chills all over it, and the other guys playing with him on this one are hanging in that pocket the same way. I think that a lot of great musicians now have no access to that sorta pocket that dudes would get into back in the day. I mean, for me, there isnt enough focus on the rhythm and letting that carry you and not rushing and overdoing everything. Lester knew how to lay back in that pocket, and it makes his music breathe.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! Nice.

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter...thanks for this one...I love Lester (pres)...this is the music I grew up with
Sylvia

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God for Lester Young! See you in Sweden next week.

-Megan (Knoxville)

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home