Saturday, December 10, 2005

12/10/2005 - Kids & Cocaine

Song: Kids & Cocaine
Artist: Richard Pryor
Why this song is the current jam: Richard died today after years of battling M.S. Check out the NY Times article here. He was my favorite comedian of all time and really he is the funniest person I have ever heard. He really can find the humor in almost anything. I guess I dont wanna say too much about him, because the more I blab, the less he becomes a man and the more he becomes a shitty reductive amalgam of the things that I say. (and that other people write etc) There will be a lot of talk about how how dirty he was, and how he did drugs, and how he burned himself up that one time, and how he had MS, and how he was influential to other black comedians and comedians in general. These things are true I guess, and I dont know this man better than any of those people, but I'll just say this. I think a lot of what people say about Richard Pryor doesnt mean a thing. Like how he swears a lot. So fuckin what? What was he really SAYIN? Almost always some honest shit. I think that it is that honesty that is most amazing to me. There was something about Richard that was more honest and real than most people. That I think is why people liked him and why people thought he was so damn funny. Ever heard the expression "it's funny because it's true?" Well, that was him.

My first exposure to Richard Pryor was in 7th grade with my best friend at the Time Marshall and some homies in my basement. We watched Richard Pryor: Live in Concert and it blew our minds. We watched it literally 3 times through and laughed our asses off every time. We laughed so hard that we missed a bunch of the jokes the first (and second) time around. This is my favorite thing of his that I have seen, you should check it out.

As part of this post I am also including an interview of him off of his "Here & Now" album. It is really compelling to listen to Richard Pryor the man, not the comedian. He seems like someone whose soul is so shining and good that regardless of all of the weird shit that he does, or the bad shit that happens to him, or how sad or angry or hurt he is, it will always show through. This interview is kind of a big file cuz it is 20 minutes long, but I really encourage you to listen to it and get a taste of some of what is behind Richard Pryor. I listen to this interview like I listen most of my music (and I think like I listen to people in general a lot of times), I listen to the words and there meanings, but also I try to listen to the music and feeling underneath and surrounding the words. Richard is quoted in the NY Times article as saying "that he was proud that, 'like Mark Twain, I have been able to use humor to lessen people's hatred.'" RIP Rich.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home