Monday, December 05, 2005

12/5/2005 - Trois Gymnopedies (I, II, & III)

Song: Trois Gymnopedies
Artist: Erik Satie
Why this song is the current jam: This song is one that my parents introduced me to when I was younger. They heard it once while traveling through France. It sounds really sweet actually, they were just walking in the country, and they just heard this piano floating up to them. It sounded like someone playing it right there for them. I think it was a local person playing their record of the song, but once you hear the song, you can imagine what it must have been like walking through the beautiful countryside of France and to have that music flow over you. I think of this song as haunting and beautiful. But not haunting in a scary way, more like a beautiful woman who you could dance with and have tea and look out of the stained glass windows of a giant english mansion at a rainy day with, except she's dead, but not in a gross way, just in a you are dreaming so you somehow know it way even though there are no signs. The notes are just so tender and melancholy. I thought this would be a nice change of pace. I dont really know anything else by Satie, but maybe I will get off of my butt and find more of his music. If you know any of this kind of music, or any classical music in general, feel free to hook me up with some knowledge, cuz I am very ignorant on that front and I am trying to figure out more of what to look for. Oh also, fun fact about this song: Janet Jackson bit the piano melody in the beginning for the chorus on her song Someone to Call My Lover, see I knew there was a reason I kinda liked that song, despite how stupid it is. I tell ya, you put any planet rocky type beat and you almost have me at hello right there. Add in the subtle sneaky Erik Satie interpolation on the chorus, and I'm yours.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you put up some of the old school songs that people have been sampling from today. Hiphop today is really becoming "sample heavy" and I often wonder what the original song is (if I don't know it)that they're pulling from.
"Touch the Sky" is one of my favorite songs on his album so I loved hearing "Move On Up."

And the Trois Gymnopedies was really pretty~

Terri

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since the beauty of this song cannot be captured in my words, my mind spontaneously went back to walking along Seine River a couple years ago...... It truly moves me emotionally.

This song also reminds me of George Winston’s “Colors/Dance” & “Road”. Both of them from his 1980 Album “Autumn” --- a capture of a mixed feelings of poignant melancholy and enchanting tranquility. I have listened to this album for almost two decades and I never get tired of it.

If you ask me what’s the difference between simple and easy, perhaps, Winston would also give you a clue. Thanks, Pee.

J.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Moo said...

That song fits completely perfectly with walking the french countryside.

Anyway, as far as similar music, you might want to check out Claude Debussy or Maurice Chevel. Satie influenced them, and they were actually the precursors to ragtime, and eventually jazz. You could even check out Gershwin, he wrote a lot of more classical feeling stuff as well,you might enjoy his Prelude #2 in cm.

Also (and please forgive my spelling) Tchikovsky had a lot of great piano works that had the same sort of feel. Any of the Romantic period composers might interest you-perhaps Stravinsky as well.

And if you're just into the French thing, I'd recommend Eddie Piaf, she's a wonderful older French vocalist, with the same erie, seductive style.

I have no idea how much you know, so I'm sorry if I'm not telling you anything new.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on music with the world, it's really great to see how music affect different people, and to be exposed to songs you may never have knew existed. :)

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Edith Piaf) (and she does rock!)

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at you with the Satie? I was just singing some Satie songs last week - "Je te veux" and "La Diva de L'Empire". His songs are great...slightly cheesy, but fun.
Ashley

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home