Tuesday, December 06, 2005

12/6/2005 - Ch'ella Mi Creda Libero

Song: Ch'ella Mi Creda Libero
Artist: Giacomo Puccini
Why this song is the current jam: So dont anybody start thinking that I know anything about classical music, because I dont. And I am posting some Opera here today, but the same goes for that. I know very little Opera, but I love it, what I have heard. And Ashley, you have to give me credit for not posting Nessun Dorma or anything from Carmen (both of which I love). So anyways, this one is sung by the big guy, Luciano Pavarotti. It is from Puccini's "La Fanciulla del West" and it is sung by this guy who is going to be hanged (I think). What I love about it is the hugeness of the emotions in the music and in what he is saying. Also, like so much Puccini stuff, it has this really contemporary sound to me. I dont know if that is the right way to describe it, but the way his music moves doesnt sould old to me. Anyways, I love this song, and what his face has a good voice. I figure, while we are off on a tangent, lets try one more. Hope you like it.

Ch'ella mi creda libero e lontano, Let her think I'm free and far away,
Sopra una nuova via di redenzione! on my way to a new life of redemption!
Aspetterà ch'io torni She'll wait for me to return..
E passeranno i giorni, and the days will pass,
Ed io non tornerò... and I won't return...
Minnie, della mia vita mio solo fiore, Minnie, only flower of my life,
Minnie, che m'hai voluto tanto bene! Minnie, you who have loved me so much!
Ah! tu della mia vita m io solo fior! Ah, you, the only flower of my life!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to Lucca two years ago, just because it is Puccini’s hometown, during my Cinque Terre trip, and it was an unforgettable exploring experience. While standing in front of his statue, all my mind was Pavarotti singing Nessun dorma ......

Anyway, I actually prefer the way that Pavarotti interprets “Che gelida manina” and “O soave fanciulla”. I have them from both “Puccini’s Greatest Love Songs” (1993 The Decca Record) and “Luciano Pavarotti – The Gold Collection” (1997 Fine Tune/The Gold Collection).

All I would like to say is a quotation from Pavarotti: "When I was a kid, if you said you wanted to be a tenor, people laughed at you." Again, thank you for sharing your music with us.

J.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

Holy crap dude, this is one of my favourite opera pieces ever!!!!!!!! Along with J's mention of those other two puccini pieces from La Bohème, those rock my planet. Have you ever listen to the pieces from I Pagliacci? I bet you would love them.

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, all kinds of credit for not playing Nessum Dorma (not that there's anything wrong with that) :) Now I have to be honest and say that Fanciulla is the only opera I've ever left halfway through. Sorry! I hated it a lot. I think it was mostly the production and the horrible acting of the lead soprano. (yes....putting your arms in the air can *totally* convey ever possible emotion...) Also there are a lot of stupid "western" references, and the tenor's name? Is Dick Johnson. For real. But, I totally dig that you guys are listening to something that's not totally mainstream! That rules. I should really get you onto some good angsty dead baby opera :) Or Strauss, like Salome - gotta love a girl who sings to a head on a platter.

Ash

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home