Monday, December 12, 2005

12/12/2005 - What's Goin On

Song: What's Goin On
Artist: Donny Hathaway
Why this song is the current jam: Ok here is another track on which I have to credit a friend. My boy James showed me this one off of Donny's Live album. It is a great album all around, really a great showcase for his voice, his band, and the amazing interaction between he and the crowd. Now normally I hate when people try to get sneaky (like say a west coast swing DJ) and try to play some remake (or worse remix) of some amazing old song and it is just not nearly as good as the original. But I feel like this recording brings something worthwhile to the table even if it is only Donny Hathaway's voice. There are some moments in this song that just blow me away. I am all about the moments in songs, even more than the songs themselves. A few of the "Heys" and the "mother mother mother" on the last time he comes in again give me the chills. Donny Hathaway has influenced like every neo-soul singer in the universe too. And he wore cool hats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home