Sunday, December 18, 2005

12/18/2005 - Hung Up On My Baby

Song: Hung Up On My Baby
Artist: Isaac Hayes
Why this song is the current jam: How is it that all those dudes from the 70's created music that was so rich and creative that artists are able to steal it over and over again and we still enjoy it? It really kind of boggles my mind sometimes when I think of certain artists, Isaac Hayes among them, whose work has been poured through countless times by DJs and producers all over for snippets and tidbits of melody and rhythm to base a whole track on. It really is amazing that Isaac and people like him were able to create so much music that even their little moments could fuel whole songs by other people. Then again there is the argument that music is getting more and more simplistic, formulaic, and derivative, but I buy that much less than the average joe I think. It must be some combination of the two, and when you hear this song, I think you'll see what I am talking about. This song has an infamous hook bitten originally by the Geto Boys for their song My Mind's Playin Tricks on Me. This was the bomb track back in 8th grade, I could not get enough of the beat even if some of the rhymes were stupid (Willie D & Bushwick Bill aka the 2nd and 3rd dudes on the song are really useless rappers, while Scarface on the other hand has skills and has done some really good songs). I wondered for years where this hook came from. It has been used by several other artists as well, and I just got hungrier for it every time I heard it. Finally after having forgotten about it for years, I found it last year and have been bumping it ever since. Pick up any Isaac Hayes greatest hits album and listen to the music that gave birth to several of your favorite hip hop tracks. This song sounds like he is in love, and I love to bump it on repeat and get a taste of that feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home