Thursday, December 22, 2005

12/22/2005 - It Ain't Me Babe

Song: It Ain't Me Babe
Artist: Bob Dylan
Why this song is the current jam: What can I say about Bob Dylan? He is kinda the best. I never really listened to Bob Dylan when I was younger, I never had the patience. I couldnt dance to it and I didnt have the time to listen to the words. But Over the past few years I have been listening more and more and I am more and more overwhelmed by how amazing he is. Really, he is an extraordinary artist and he seems like a unique fellow as well. I read his Chronicles: Volume 1 book and I loved it, I recommend it to you as well if you havent checked it out. Trying to pick out one Bob Dylan song is preposterous so I just picked one that I like, there are so many. What I love about this song is how ruthless it is. There is no one like Bob for a serious kiss off. I admire him for being a person who is perfectly willing to be NOT the person someone wants him to be, whereas I, and I think a lot of people, really have an urge to fit themselves at least a little bit into the molds that other people have in their heads for us. It is easy to say that you dont care about what people think of you and that you dont change how you are to suit anyone besides yourself, but in general, that is complete bullshit. Most of us spend a lot of time doing just that, regardless of what we say. And again, the music of this song is so powerful, it has as much to do with the force of the song as the lyrics. When he sings the parts about "You say you're looking for someone..." there is an urgency that mounts and pushes your emotions so that when he cries "It ain't me babe" you feel some small part of the pain that whoever he is singing to must feel. I'll have to have more Bob Dylan later, but for now, if you haven't listened to much, buy a bunch, and spend a few days hanging out and listening and I guarantee you will be a fan. I mean it, if you dont like the CD you buy, I will refund your purchase.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home