Friday, December 23, 2005

12/23/2005 - You'll Lose a Good Thing

Song: You'll Lose a Good Thing
Artist: Barbara Lynn
Why this song is the current jam: I love this woman's stuff, and I have heard so little of it. This is a beautiful old song, and it is not even my favorite by her. If anyone has or can figure out how to find "This Is the Thanks I Get" (the OLD version, not the 1994 one) by Barbara Lynn, please please please let me know. It is the bomb. This one is still a hot track though, and what is cool about Barbara Lynn is that she was a guitar player, not just a vocalist. But the fact remains that she has a great voice, and I love the way she sings this tender old ballad. There are definitely moments (like the 2nd time she sings "good thing" that little baby run right there) where she reminds me a little bit in her vocal style (if not so much her voice) of Lauryn Hill and I can't help wondering if she was a fan. Also, she wrote this song herself. I would love to hear more of an artist like this and it makes me wonder what she would have been able to produce in a time when women like Lauryn and Erykah are able to tear it up as solo artists, writing and recording their own stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home