Saturday, December 24, 2005

12/24/2005 - Stay (Live)

Song: Stay (Live)
Artist: Erykah Badu
Why this song is the current jam: OK so I mentioned Erykah in my last post, and then I realized, why not post something by her? She is an amazing vocalist and I can testify to her skills as a performer. I feel like there are so few people who can get up on stage and just fuckin sing really well and have a compelling show. She has such stage presence, it really is bizarre. She just chills out standing there, swaying a little bit to the beat like some earth mother and she sings her ass off. So I figured most everyone has heard a lot of Erykah before but maybe I can focus on her live skills and her voice. This song highlights both I think. It is a cover of Stay by Chaka Khan and she really tears it up. The band is amazing too, but it is Erykah's voice that is the highlight. As the song builds she comes with more and more force until she is just straight up wailing at the end. She hits a few notes that are so intense and beautiful and they are so fucking poignant and so touching that they move my insides around so that it squeezes a few tears drop out. It is really a visceral, physical reaction. Turn this up loud and the feeling will hit you too. She has skills. And she dates my favorite rappers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home