Saturday, January 14, 2006

1/14/2006 - Guess Who's Back

Song: Guess Who's Back
Artist: Scarface
Why this song is the current jam: OK today we dedicate to beats by Kanye West (perhaps you have heard of him). He has produced some of the hottest tracks ever. Seriously. There is a reason for the hype. Here are a few of his best beats. We'll start it off with what is potentially my favorite track he has ever produced, Guess Who's Back. This song is so hot that even Beanie Sigel sounds pretty good on it. Scarface and Jay-Z both tear it up, but the big story is the beat. It is beautiful and hard and bangin at the same time. Kanye has a few trademark elements and several of them are at work here. First off, there is the old soul sample of course, but this time minus the chipmunk vocals, which is nice. Next up we have Kanye signature dirty snare/clap drum sound. It is full and heavy while still being sharp and he uses it ALLL the time (to great effect). This all combines with the heaviest, most rhythmic bassline that I can think of off the top of my head in a hip hop song. It is staggering what this does to the track. Kanye does this a lot, with either a really fast bass drums or pounding bassline like this, and it creates quite an effect. I love the rhythm it brings to the song here. Lastly there is the little Slick Rick sample from his hip hop classic, Hey Young World. Overall I think this is his most well-put-together beat. Check out the instrumental to hear how the elements come together.

Since Beanie is on this track, I figured I would include a hot beat that Kanye did for him, Mom Praying. This one has Scarface on it as well and it is a dedication to their moms which is cool. (If you can't stand the rapping, here is the instrumental) The track sounds epic and a touch sorrowful, something the Kanye is able to do really well with the soul samples. Jay-Z gets his own track here as well, Some People Hate. This song makes use of such and interesting sample to create such an interesting sound and feel that I love it. Check the instrumental.

As an extra double bonus, I am including an old Kanye track not on his albums called, Home with John Legend singing on the chorus. Also I am posting We Can Make it Better, a bonus track off of Kanye's newest album that you only get on the UK edition - what's up with that? I am down with buying the album, but why can't I get the bonus track? Also rapping on this song are Talib Kweli, Q-Tip, and Rhymefest (the rapper who is about to make a career out of ghostwriting half of Jesus Walks)

I hope everyone has enjoyed hot beats week, sorry I am so behind, hopefully I'll be caught up soon. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home