Friday, January 20, 2006

1/20/2006 - Place to Be

Song: Place to Be
Artist: Nick Drake
Why this song is the current jam: This is my favorite song by Nick Drake. It is off of his Pink Moon album, by all accounts his best. If you dont know, he was a singer/songwriter in the late 60's/early 70's. He was a very sad dude and not much appreciated while he was alive. He died of an overdose of anti-depressants that may or may not have been suicide, but the point is, he died young and his music has been appreciated since he passed. If you want melancholy, this is your man. The moment this song starts, I feel like I have been in the middle of it for hours. It is under 3 minutes long, but something about the melody he plays on the guitar makes it seem constant somehow, like I tune in and out of it, rather than starting and finishing the song. It always reminds me of when I spent Christmas at an old girlfriend's parents' place in Michigan. It was really fun, in a warm, family loving sort of way. Her brother and she were home from school for the holidays and he played this album over and over and everytime this song came on, it seemed to fill up the house and I felt transfixed. I remember thinking how nice it was having this really nice family welcoming me and stuff and at the same time feeling somewhere inside doubtful that I would be able to live in a world with so little pretention. Sadly, it ended up that my feeling was right, but still, I feel like I have this song as a memento of that time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Moo said...

Never heard of Nick Drake before, but I really like this song- thanks.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home