Saturday, January 21, 2006

1/21/2005 - Fear Not of Man

Song: Fear Not of Man
Artist: Mos Def
Why this song is the current jam: On the really really cool intros to albums tip, I had to include this one from Mod Def. Yet another of my favorite MCs (and perhaps the most handsome of them all, I mean check out the face on his album cover - that is a face with character) here has an intro track to his album full of interesting rhythms which build to a really nice little verse. Just check the lyrics here:

All over the world hearts pound with the rhythm
Fear not of men because men must die
Mind over matter and soul before flesh
Angels hold the pen, keep a record in time
which is passin and runnin like a caravan trader
The world is overrun with the wealthy and the wicked
But God is sufficient and disposes of affairs
Gunmen and stockholders try to merit your fear
But God is sufficient over plans they prepared
Mos Def in the flesh, where you at, right here
on this place called Earth, holdin down my square
Bout to represent in your whole atmosphere

Really, cut the last 3 lines and this is a perfectly tolerable poem, which is a very tricky thing to come up with my friends. I mean have you ever tried writing anything in any sort of verse? I will personally send you a mix CD if you can show me evidence of a poem that you have written that does not sound like the musings of a dreamy and/or morose high school girl. It is not easy. Try writing down some verse sometime - THEN - then trying rapping it my friend. Step 3: kill yourself to end your shame. My point here is that Mos Def is really good at this whole saying interesting things to a rhythm business - this Rhythmic American Poetry (ha HA! see the clever acronym?! Thank you D.O.C.) Anyways if you liked the Common intro, you will dig this one too. And I am serious about the poetry thing - send it to me if you dare and I will be the judge as to whether your art merits a mix CD.

peter[at]lindymovment.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it

angels *hold the pen* keep a record in time???

anyways it's still a hot song. I have problem listened to that intro and that album about 1000 times. Hot pick man.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Peetski said...

Yeah maybe it is that, it makes sense. I'll change it. But yeah, hot shit right?!

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home