Tuesday, December 27, 2005

12/27/2005 - Diary (Live)

Song: Diary (Live)
Artist: Alicia Keys
Why this song is the current jam: This song is off of Alicia's Unplugged album * and there are two cool things about it. Number one, and the reason I am posting this song is that my friend Dave showed me the DVD of the show last night, and this song in particular. He wanted to show me what a good performance it was and also show me the awesome backup singer that sorta semi-duets with Alicia on this one. I think his name is Jermaine (or Tremaine) Paul. He is buff sexy black man with a really good voice and he really does do it up Trey Lorenz-style (from the Mariah cover of "I'll be there") here with Alicia, lots of feeling. And it really is fun to watch, because it becomes a moment. Alicia sings the song seemingly to her singers, with this smile on her face and this sidelong look that reminds me of Bangles lead-singer Susanna Hoffs but without the pretension (but with all of the pretty). She really sings it like she is in love and means what she says and I think that this song has a beautiful sentiment for a lady to sing to a fella. When Alicia and her dude go back and forth it really gave me the goosebumps to see them doin it up so I hope you enjoy the song. Part two of the coolness is that my boy James was at the show. He is buyer for Target's R&B (among other) musical categories and so check this. He got flown out to NYC, for one night, to go see the show, and then come back the next morning. For WORK. Man I thought my job was cush. Anyways, so he was there bearing witness to the hotness of the whole thing.

* I enjoy this album despite the fact that is showcases once again that Alicia is still a young artist. She recognizes the badassness of a song like “How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore?” but it remains completely out of her reach. I offer for comparison here, her version and Prince’s original. Which makes you feel more? I mean she can sing good yeah, but the song is about some pain and introspection. It is lonely and quiet. I guess you can figure out which I like more. He is the man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home