Thursday, December 29, 2005

12/29/2005 - Things Ain't What They Used to Be

Song: Things Ain't What They Used to Be
Artist: Johnny Hodges
Why this song is the current jam: This song is straight up sexy. That is why I like it. There is something about that slow, steady beat, and the way they play that riff, so slow and easy, just draggin everything thing out. I think this is what so many people would never think of when they think of dancing to jazz music. There is such a wider range of emotion and energy that can be conveyed than just Sing Sing Sing yknow? There is a real sensuality in the way that real artists are able to play and it is on full display in this version of this song. Johnny Hodges tears shit up here seriously, and it just sounds beautiful. I guess he was taught and inspired by Sidney Bechet, so that would make some sense as to why he is such a badass. He played with Duke Ellington for most of his career if that tells you anything. Anyways, I think the saxophone is my favorite jazz instrument (when it doesnt totally suck - Kenny G et al) and this guy is really amazing. Just listen to the sound he makes. The solo sounds like a chick takin off her pantyhose after a long night of dancing. And when they come back in for the chorus at the end, it makes me want to dance with a LADAY. As if she was a laday, know what I am sayin? Anyways, if I heard more of this I would dance slow and close a lot more often.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you were still up at 1:40am, my friend. But great music choices, as always. This song is a great way to start an otherwise boring workday.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,
Is the name of this song “Things Ain’t What They Used to Be?” or do you have your own reasons for putting “Things Ain’t the Way They Used to Be”?

Anyways, I wish I could totally dig that “something” behind this song, not just sensuality; perhaps more something that I would like to pursue for the rest of my whole life. Like you said: “… the way they play that riff, so slow and easy ……”, it’s really just draggginginging ……. And, of course, the solo, it is just like a sexy lady stepping languidly out from her bathtub after an indulgent luxurious bath.

Shit, the word “sexy” is definitely inadequate to describe how I feel about this song.

J.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Peetski said...

Point well taken. I am a moron. I changed the name. Blooks.

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home