Monday, November 14, 2005

11/14/2005 - So In Love

Song: So In Love
Artist: Curtis Mayfield
Why this song is the current jam: This is one of the most beautiful love songs I know. It is so slow and tender, and Curtis Mayfield's gentle falsetto vocals just epitomize the feeling he is trying to get across here. It also has a really simple but infectious rhythm, something I always connect to in a song. There are a lot of sexy songs out there, but this one is straight up romantic, and I love that. The intro takes forever, it almost teaches you to shut up and listen, to just sorta wait for it and let the song wash over you. I have had a lot of amazing and special dances in my day, but one of the ones I always remember was to this song late at night with barely anyone left at the dance and with the music on full blast, filling up the room so it felt like we were swimming in it. This is a song where all you have to do is hold someone in your arms and just move together. I got a request for this song this last weekend when I DJed and I couldnt fit it in and didnt want to play it if folks werent gonna be able to dance to it. I can put up with a lot, but I think if someone complained to me that I had played this song, for any reason, I would have to strangle them. There are some songs that I love so much that I rarely DJ them, like this one. But if you hear me DJ soul music you are guaranteed to hear some Curtis Mayfield at least, probably with the Impressions. He is an amazing artist along the lines of Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder, writing his own songs, producing, playing, singing. He was an amazing talent. His style changed dramatically over the years and he brought a uniquely black consciousness to the forefront of popular music through his songs. Required listening - as a matter of fact I am gonna find some more of him right now and study up. Enjoy this song alone, or if you have someone handy, hold 'em close and just move to this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this song. Curtis Mayfield is the man. This brings back memories of house parties that I was way too litttle to be watching, but.... man. Dark living room, with furniture moved outside. Dark, except for the red light bulbs. Humid, and hot..

Cool stuff.

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home