Sunday, January 22, 2006

1/22/2006 - Hymn to Freedom

Song: Hymn to Freedom
Artist: Oscar Peterson
Why this song is the current jam: This is a really beautiful song that I encountered a few years ago through dancing. I was kinda into Oscar Peterson and more recent jazz stuff back then, not having really become that acquainted with a lot of the old great stuff at that point, and after hearing Peterson's amazing version of Moten Swing off of his Night Train album with his trio, one or another of my dance homies hipped me to this one (off of the same album) which really is beautiful, even if it doesn't really make me want to swing out at all. It builds and builds with Oscar's piano running through the whole thing. And the powerful crescendo and the quiet return to the melody at the end of the song create a realyl dynamic emotional feeling. It manages to sound somehow American, I dont know, its the chord structure or some technical music shit like that. I just know that it has like the faintest whiff of patriotism without being staid or lame (perhaps because Peterson, as I am sure my partner Caitlin would tell you, is originally from Canadia). Anyways, me like.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's pretty.
And the underlying (quite possibly overlying?) patriotic references in the melody mixed with the more mellow tempo gives it a really nostalgic feeling... Very cool.

.tp.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hits home, does that one...

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home