Saturday, January 28, 2006

1/28/2006 - Beyond This World

Song: Beyond This World
Artist: Jungle Brothers
Why this song is the current jam: OK so Souls of Mischief got me on a little kick so I had to post this track from the JB's. These guys were contemporaries of De La Soul and Tribe but they didnt really get the same props, but this album really holds up over the years. I am really impressed at the production AND the rhymes on almost the whole thing. There is a low-fi sound that is really crunchy and tasty on the whole album. The beats are heavy and the rhymes are tight. There are a lot of samples that you have heard in other places, but more than likely after these dudes. This track, the first off of their 2nd album, is a nice representation of what these fellas do, although their eclectic tastes require an album really. The JBs also have a nice little guest spot on the CLASSIC De La Soul single, Buddy (which is itself a beautifully done interpolation of the Heartbeat beat by Taana Gardner) The verse is lifted from a song off of their first album called "I Got it Like That" and I happened to find a really cool mix of that song with the Hollaback girl beat so just cuz I'm so nice, I'll include it here. Both of the first two albums of the Jungle Brothers are classics, well-worth having if you are into hip hop. I miss these days.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, did I tell you I saw the JB's live? They are the bomb. "Book of Rhyme Pages" is still my jam.
I think they were the first to coin the term "Jambrowski" too, if I'm not mistaken (allthough KRS sang about the jambrowski too).

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home