Tuesday, February 07, 2006

2/7/2006 - And I Love Him

Song: And I Love Him
Artist: Esther Phillips
Why this song is the current jam: I love Esther Phillips's take on this Beatles song. (Here is the original - of course a smashing version as well) Her voice goes so well with this melody and the overall effecting is haunting (but not in a Munsters way) and beautiful. I especially love the last bit where she repeats "And I love him," dragging out the "I" for a beautiful moment. I have said it before, but I am all about these little moments in songs, they can be so transcendant. I guess the Beatles dug her version of her song so much that they flew her out to England to perform. You have to give it up for the Beatles, as really most of those big famous British bands, they really had impeccable tastes. All of their first loves were the old blues and soul singers from the states. To quote my good friend Steven Colbert - "USA! USA!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home