Wednesday, February 08, 2006

2/8/2006 - I Can't Make You Love Me

Song: I Can't Make You Love Me
Artist: Bonnie Rait
Why this song is the current jam: OK folks, who wants a broken heart? All those who raised their hand, listen to this song. This is one song that completely supports my hypothesis that if you were to take all the happy songs and all the sad songs in the world and put them on two rival gangs and have them duel it out one by one like the tied hands fight in the Beat It video, the sad songs would kick the shit out of the happy songs. There is something about the pain conveyed in this song, through its absolutely beautiful melancholy melody and through the touching, world-weary lyrics that cuts through to your heart. Whether you have felt like this or not, this song makes this situation real to you, a final night with a lover that is already gone away from you in their heart.

I think that Bonnie Rait is the perfect person to sing this song too. The story of a woman who has been in love and lost if before, who is smart enough to see that it is over, but in love enough to ignore it to enjoy her last moments. She herself has been around as a musician for a long time before this song came along, and her voice coveys the resigned sorrow of the lyrics perfectly. This is one song, like A Change is Gonna Come, that if you really listen to it, I dont think you can help crying. There are some amazing moments in this song as well that remind me of another all time tear-jerker classic, Vesti La Giubba (the really sad Opera song that you have heard even if you dont know the name, it is about a heartbroken clown, whose tears he must hide in laughter as he laughs at the sorrow of his own life) Just like in Vesti La Giubba, I always feel like I have reached the highest cliff peak of emotion when he sings (in Italian) "Laugh clown, laugh!" but I am always pushed over the edge into the true depths of sorrow when he continues "though your heart is broken!" when Bonnie sings "I can't make you love me" I can feel my heart about to burst, but when she continues "...if you don't" that is when it breaks for real.

* This song was so good that even my man did a cover on his Emancipation album.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Bonnie Raitt. She is my shero. "Love Letter" is an awesome song also.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home