Thursday, February 09, 2006

2/9/2006 - What I Did For Love

Song: What I Did For Love
Artist: Irene Reid
Why this song is the current jam: I dont know what it is about this song that I like so much. I heard it for the first time in 2001 in San Francisco at a house party late one night during the San Francisco exchange and I made them play it over and over again. It creates such a mood for me. I like the breaks and the pregnant pauses that just seem to last forever. I like the nearly-smarmy horns too, the way they swing the melody, and the way the whole thing just lays so low during the verses. This is a cover of the Bobby Caldwell original called What You Won't Do For Love. Bobby's version is nice, but it sounds a little dated to me, and doesnt have the punch that this one does. My guess is that there will be some who really dont like this one, it is definitely in the realm of my more idiosyncratic tastes. But I urge you to just let it hit you, listen for the mood and the vibe of the whole thing, the way she lays back and swings the vocals, the way the she hits those breaks, the way the band plays so quiet and intimate. This to me sounds like a soundtrack to a romantic night in the city with an old love. Dinner somewhere nice up high with floor to ceiling windows looking out over the city lights, some dancing with the lights low, a drive in a nice car back to the posh apartment. Maybe I am crazy, but I love dancing to this song. It doesn't really make me want to swing out, but I love dancing to it, it makes me want to dance with a PARTNER yknow? Anyways, I hope you like it anywhere near as much as I do.

p.s. Bobby Caldwell also did the song Open Your Eyes which Common used for his track The Light. Good Stuff. Oh an he is white - ha HA! My people strike again!
p.p.s. I almost forgot that 2Pactotally bit this song for his track Do For Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home