Saturday, November 19, 2005

11/19/2005 - This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)

Song: This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
Artist: The Talking Heads
Why this song is the current jam: There have been times where I have listened to this song and only this song for several days on end. Now, to be fair, I am easily addicted and I have an extremely high tolerance for repetition when it comes to songs I like, but, that being said, there is something special about this song to me. I first found it about a year and a half ago on someone's iTunes celebrity playlist. I really dont know much stuff by the Talking Heads still, but anyways, I liked this song immediately. I remember the celebrity, whoever it was, describing it as a beautiful happy song with a melody that always put her (I do remember that it was a woman) in a good mood. I find that so odd, because I would never describe this song as just plain old happy. But I think I am not the best at listening to lyrics either. But, I think that one thing about me that probably won't change is that my impression of the feeling that a song conveys is much more about how it sounds than what the words say. I think I think this same way about people for the most part as well. I mean I really hate ugly people, no matter how nice they are. I kid. I mean like there is a sense of people, or at least how they are feeling at that moment that sorta transcends or perhaps lies beneath what they say to you. This song reminds me of that. The sound of it to me is happy, almost naive one might say, but with tinges of melancholy, with a sort of wariness towards love. That is why I like it so much, those tinges. And the lyrics really are beautiful as well really. This song comes together really well. Melody, lyrics, and a rhythm that makes it feel like the song could just cruise on forever.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is sooo crazy. I heard "Take Me to the River" (their version), either Friday night or Saturday morning, in the car, driving to or from an Austin LX venue. I love that song. And I forgot how much I liked the Talking Heads until I heard it on the radio that night (or morning.... u know how it is....it becomes a blur.)

Anyway, the Talking Heads are cool. There hit track was "Burning down the House." It is also a cool song. "Life During Wartime" is cool and too. I recommend giving "Stop Making Sense" a listen to. There was a special edition/ remastered version released in 1999. It has 7 more tracks than the originally released CD. It is a live concert CD. If you get a chance, read the liner notes on it. Bernie Worrell from Parliement sits in with them on this concert, which makes for a little extra funk.

Okay, I haven't slept since ALX. gotta do it.

3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home